Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Tomato Town

I have three really tall tomato plants and they are now producing abundant amounts of tomatoes. The fruit is really small, but they are THERE, that's the amazing thing to me.
Here's the story. I write a few words to God in my journal each morning, like "talk to me about buying a house" and then record whatever message I receive. So, one morning I wrote "talk to me about the car" (because we only have one car) and here's what I got back:
"The world thinks they need a car to function. Walking is good for you. If you grow your food, raise chickens, you can eat. Learn to do this. Learn to build things. Mechanical things break down, cost money. Go back to the earth. A new car means new debt. Get creative and make money from your home. Stay well, grow and use herbs, oils, stop worry and fear. Trust me."
Uh, raise chickens? What? So, I then wrote "Does this mean we need a farm?" And the response came back: "One day at a time. Today get a tomato plant." By now you think I'm nuts probably, but that's how it went. I wrote it down. That afternoon, I go to visit my mom, and just as I am leaving, she's says (I kid you not) "Oh, I planted too many tomato plants in one pot so would you like some of them?" I didn't know she even had tomato plants. Notice He'd said to me "Today GET a tomato plant" not "go buy a tomato plant" So, I came home with three tiny plants AND some pots AND some potting soil she gave me...and started the process of growing them. Now, I know NOTHING about growing vegetables so I tried different areas of the yard to see where the best sun was and searched the internet for clues on how to grow them successfully. When they outgrew the original pots, my husband and I purchased these large bright blue toy tubs, drilled holes in the bottom, and thus created Tomato Town (by this time, I also had Pepper Plaza, and Thyme Square). I had received the tomato plants in May and it is now October, so for six months as these plants got taller and taller, I wondered would they really produce? Well, sure enough the green fruit started popping out and my husband does a daily count. "Two more!" "Four more!" every single day. As of today, there are 36. Tomorrow I'll make a big fat salad for us. Next year, I'll have a whole Veggie Village.
Not quite ready for chickens.

Galatians 6:9 "Let us not be weary in well-doing: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not."

No comments: